Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Maxi Dress

Bought this pattern on Etsy a month or so ago, thinking I would make a canary yellow silk maxi dress out of it.



Haha. Silk. Yeah right... Since I'm not at a point yet where I can handle sewing with silk (or afford it), I took Sunni's advice and started looking for rayon challis. Unfortunately, To sew view A or B of this dress, I need four or more yards of fabric, and my sewing budget just doesn't have room for a big purchase like that. At least not if it's new. Etsy isn't much cheaper either, and usually you can't find that much yardage. I did find something on eBay, but the picture was small, not many details were provided, and the seller's other wares were knick knacks and quilts (doesn't inspire confidence). On the other hand, it was going for $2/yard. Steal! So after ruminating over it for more than a week, I took the plunge and ended up with this:



These photos were taken at night so the color is a little off, but rest assured, this fabric is lovely lovely lovely. It drapes nicely, the colors are beautiful (indigo, moss green, deep purple), and I can't wait to get started turning this into a dress. Oh, and there's five yards. I hope this is the right pattern for it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment