Sunday, May 12, 2013

Takin care of Liebster Business

I just typed my blog name into my web browser's address bar, and it didn't autofill for me because it has been so long since I last visited here that all the cookies have long since been cleared and Google Chrome no longer recognizes errantpear.blogspot.com as a familiar place. SAD. Oh well. I don't feel too guilty because blogging isn't homework. Or is it....?



On my blogging "to do" list is responding to the kind people who have recognized errantpear recently with a little blogging award called the Liebster. Thank you Hazel! Thank you Claire! Hey waaaaait another Claire? I already knew I had Seemane Claire to compete with. Now I see there's Turtle Claire as well. As they are both across the sea, I don't I have anything to worry about.... yet. Just kidding. The more Claires the merrier! And I'm very pleased that my little, inconsistent, often poorly photographed posts have gathered some attention. Here's the rules of the Liebster award as summarized by Hazel:


  • Nominees must link back to the blogger who awarded them (check)
  • Write 11 random facts about yourself
  • Answer 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you
  • Nominate 11 new blogs and ask them 11 new questions
So now for the homework.

11 RANDOM AND NOT NECESSARILY CREATIVE OR INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ME

1. When I was 18 I wanted to go to college for either archaeology or technical theater (set design etc). That is why I ended up at Boston University, the only school I found that had both departments (this was before I knew archaeology is usually nested inside anthropology departments).
2. I'm trying to grow out my bangs.
3. I have had coffee grounds embedded in the wrinkles of the fingers on my right hand for years from being a barista.
4. I own rollerskates.
5. I dislocated my knee doing lunges.
6. My garden is gonna burst with strawberries any day and I'm gonna make them into jam and it's gonna be delicious.
7. I like camping.
8. I named my cat Pidgin because we wanted to name him after an animal, but if you abbreviated Pigeon it's "Pig" and we didn't like that.
9. I had peanut butter and jelly for breakfast.
10. I'm hungry again.

MY ANSWERS TO YOUR INQUIRIES

Hazel's...

1. What is your favourite project that you've made?  (sewing, knitting etc.)
This is hard! I think my favorite might have to be my Minoru, because I put so much time into it and really made it my own. But I've worn my maxi dress twice in the last two weeks (now that it's maxi dress weather) and I love it too. I think the colors are beautiful. Whenever I wear it I find myself just staring at my lap.

2. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I used to want to travel all over the world, but now I just want to be able to see my family on a regular basis. Anywhere in the United States is cool by me. For our next adventure we're thinking... Seattle?

3. Online fabric shopping: yes or no?
Yes! What other option is there for us people who don't live in LA or NY... or a couple of those other lucky places with access to nice fabric stores.

4. What essentials could you not leave your house without?
Chapshtick. My house keys (although I often do). Gear for whatever the weather is doing, because people who leave the house without checkin the weather are noobs to life.

5. Who are your fantasy dinner party guests?
Tim Gunn. Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. Ms. Marple and Hercule Poiret. Michelle Obama. Steven Colbert. Maggie Smith. Paul Simon.

6. What inspires you to craft?
The need for clothes. Seriously, since I started sewing I've become incredibly snobbish about store-bought clothes. As a result, I don't go shopping much and my wardrobe has been steadily dwindling because I don't sew fast enough to fill the gaps that form. So my inspiration lately has been based on things I need and that I'm stubbornly resisting buying.

Also greenhouses. More on that to follow.

7. What is your most visited website?  (Facebook/Twitter not allowed!)
After my feedly, probably Burdastyle. But I feel like there's not really much to see there lately.

8. What are the top 5 most played songs in your iTunes/Music library?
...................I haven't used those in a while. I am sadly music deprived, and my iPod has been broken for a year.

9. What is the background on your desktop/phone home screen?
a flower image I stole from Urban Rustic (I love her photos)

10. What is your favourite TV programme?
GAME OF THRONES very obsessed

11. Do you prefer working stretch or woven fabrics?
Wovens. My serger scares me.

Claire's inquiries...

1. Who, or what, is your biggest inspiration?
I don't really gather inspiration the way real artists do, but I gather crafty inspiration from all the sewing bloggers out there and the lovely things they make. My sewing is much more practical than "inspired by", but I do love to see new techniques and creative endeavors by other bloggers. I could never choose just one. They are all awesome.

2. Why did you start blogging?
To win a giveaway! For real, I wanted to win something off of Grosgrain. Go back and read my first post and you'll see. I don't read Kathleen's blog anymore because I feel like it became more and more commercialized and advertised and a dumping ground for pinterest inspiration and less and less about her own creativity and beautiful makes. Oh well.

3. What is your favourite pattern (sewn or not)?
Well, the only pattern I've made twice are my Simplicity 1887 shorts (oncetwice,), which I like a lot. I have a lot more sewing to do before I find my true love though.

4. What is your best sewing tip?
I'm pretty proud of this little tutorial I worked out. It might not be the expert approach to doing a neckline slit, but I quite like how mine turned out.

5. Do you avoid a pattern because of a certain feature e.g., buttonholes?
Not yet... but there are things that scare me - finishing curved edges being a big one.

6. Name one thing that is on your bucket list.
I'd like to see the Hagia Sophia.


7. Your worst sewing experience
Oh geez. I've probably blocked it from memory. Maybe it was dealing with the silk that stretched out on my mom's robe. That was pretty hellish.

8. Cats or dogs?
Both! Can't it be both? Are we so inflexible? Here is my cat doing a pull-up on the window sill.



9. To trace or not to trace (a pattern)?
I've been tracing lately. It's a pain, but I think it pays off. I trace onto heavier tracing paper which is nicer to use. And since it's a tracing I'm not hesitant to make alterations because I'll still have the original.

10. Would you apply to be on The Great British Sewing Bee?
Mmmmmmm no. There's no way I could produce under those time constraints. I would be a hot mess.



Homework done! Okay, not quite. I know I'm supposed to nominate a whole bunch of other blogs to continue on the tradition and invent homework for them to do. But to be honest, I'm not really interested in carrying on this tradition. For one, most of the blogs I follow have already received this award at some point. Two, I feel like the more this award gets passed along the more the prestige attached to it gets diluted. Three, if you're like me you're happy to get the award and stressed out with every day that goes by without you following all the protocol that goes with it. So no thanks. Instead, to keep the spirit of the Liebster award alive (which is honoring small blogs) I will attempt to briefly highlight someone else's blog on the beginning of each new post I make. From now until whenever I don't feel like it anymore. Cuz blogs ain't homework. At least not this one!

1 comment:

  1. Great answers and I love the photo of your cat!

    ReplyDelete